Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Wardrobe Spring Cleaning!

Confession: as an adult woman married to the love of my life in the early years of our marriage I would go shopping every payday-Friday.  I think I did this for *maybe* a year, I don't recall exactly how long, I just remember it coming to an end because I started feeling like a compulsive shopper. Though I never became one of those women (or men) who went into debt of any sort from their obsession. Just wanted to make that clear! :)

I have loved clothes and shoes for as long as I can remember.  They "speak" to me, I guess, and I obviously hear them; like those Pier 1 commercials I see occasionally.  So obviously its hard for me to detach myself from these inanimate objects.  However, I just have too many clothes (if you ask my husband he will also say I have too many shoes).  This especially became a problem when we had to move, and move again, and then move again for a third time.  Hubs did not appreciate seeing box after (large) box labeled "Kara's Clothes", especially because he was mainly the only one moving them as I was preoccupied with our infant.  Now that we are "settled" into our new home I'm taking the time to evaluate each article of clothing, ignoring whether or not they still speak to me; instead I am asking myself a few things:

1) Do I LOVE it or like it?
2) Do I have multiples of the same style/color?*
3) Does it still fit me?

The third question really should be the first because after having a baby last year I am not the same size on top, for obvious reasons.  I can fit into all my jeans, capris, skirts (yay- maxis!), and pants just fine - hallelujah!  Thank you skinny-family gene!

*Unless it's a long sleeved button-up cardi or a maxi skirt ;) For some reason I can't resist either of these items right now!

Because I have too many, and that I am coming to the realization that I won't be able to fit all of my clothes into our new, smaller home (boo for tiny closets), I have begun a "closet clean-out".  I'm taking some things to a local consignment shop, using eBay to sell castoffs, donating to secondhand stores, and passing on some to my big sis!  It has been marginally profitable and fun.

For the items which have passed my three question test, I place them in the closet or dresser, when I decide to wear that item of clothing, one of two things will happen:

1) "no way" - instantly decide I don't like the item on my body and it gets added to the "purge" pile
2) "iffy" - which means I'll wear it to work or elsewhere. However, if I am at any time during the day uncomfortable in it, it will thus be labeled "OUT!" and I will not be seen wearing it in the light of day again
3) "meh" - I really can't decide yay or nay so I'll wait and test it out another day when I'm in a different mood or sequester it for 6 months and then make my decision

Part of what I said previously about how I feel about my clothing is that what I give away/sell/trade/whatever is that someone else will love it more than I do - just like the catchphrase by Olay "Love the skin you're in" I want to love the clothes I'm in!

No comments:

Post a Comment