Friday, August 6, 2010

Compulsive Shopping

Something dawned on me this morning as I was getting ready for work. I think I may have figured out why I like clothes and shoes so much, why I like to have more than one pair of each kind of shoes, why I like to buy things. To put it simply, I didn't have alot of new stuff growing up. Of course my parents bought me new things like shoes and underwear, all the necessities, but being the second girl in the family I was given hand-me-downs, LOTS of them, and not just castoffs from my sister, but from other families too. Could it really be as simple as that, or do I have a genuine compulsive problem that is clothes shopping?

Maybe it has to do with being an adult, I can make buying decisions for myself now, and not hear my mother constantly say "We can't afford that", "I'm not buying that", or "You don't need that". One thing I think I did adopt from my mother is bargain shopping. It is one thing I'm happy to have learned from her. Every time we'd go to a clothing store she would always make the sale rack our first stop. Seriously, why pay full price if I can get it at a discount, use a coupon, or wait until it goes on sale? If it's still there when the sale occurs I'm meant to buy it, right? No, I know that's not right. What's wrong with me? I know I'm getting better though, because every payday I'd go clothes shopping, and I don't do that anymore. I wish I had an answer to these questions, or a diagnosis as to whether or not I have a compulsive personality about shopping. One thing is for sure though, I'm not going into credit card debt to buy myself things. If that were so then I'd know I really do have a problem and I should get some help.

I have been doing a lot better in this area of my life in the last few months. I'm asking myself questions before buying that cute top that I have to have: how many different things will this go with that I already own? Do I really need to buy this, or am I buying it just to buy it? Do I really want to pay that much for this? Can I get this cheaper somewhere else? Do I already own something just like this? After I've asked these questions I usually don't end up buying the item, and admittedly, I do feel good about my decision. In addition to my own 'buying questions' and a few eye catching, unique tops & bottoms, I am trying to follow this guideline which I think is fabulous: The Essentials of a Well-Balanced Wardrobe.

Now, time to go shopping! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Kara I know EXACTLY how you feel. I remember going to work in the morning, not liking what I am wearing and just buying a new outfit.
    I had to do the same thing that you are doing. I would stand in front of that cute shirt and ask "do I need this?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, I'm doing SO much better in this area. Right now, I'm getting rid of some items I've had for too long that seem juvenile-looking to me, and I'm opting for more universal items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the link. This post really rang true to me. I'm the oldest, so no hand me downs for me, but when I grew up my family was not (and still is not) very well off. The freedom to buy things that I earned money for is still a thrill after all these years. I can afford to treat myself, I deserve to treat myself, so I should treat myself. Trying to work on the difference between being able to afford something and thinknig about the longer term - yes I could buy this shirt, or pair of shoe,s but really, maybe I should save up for something I really want or we as a family really need.

    ReplyDelete